Wednesday 24 October 2012

I Am Ready To Fall In Love Again – Kate Henshaw Opens Up At Last


Face of Onga, ex-Glo ambassador and now, a
judge for Nigeria’s Got Talent reality show,
actress Kate Henshaw can be rightly referred to
as multi-faceted and successful.
In this exclusive chat with NET, Henshaw talks
about her passion for acting and the many
challenges she has dealt with, including her
broken marriage.
It’s been a while, where have you been?
I’ve been around in Nigeria. You don’t have to
come out all the time. I can’t do that because it
will water down my brand and I want people to
have an expectation when they see my face on
posters. That ‘Oh I have not see Kate in a while,
for her to be in the movie, I must see it’ feeling
and that alone is enough for me.
You are an actress with an appeal that cuts
across different generations. What do you
think is responsible for your relevance after
almost 20 years in the business? I just try to
be myself and I do a few other things; I don’t
only act, I MC and I have business that I do on
the side, because acting alone cannot sustain
you. Again, I think my ability to smile and laugh
at every situation. People tell me when I smile,
it’s as though I don’t have any problems, some
even ask if I ever get angry but I tell them I
choose to be happy, and that is the most positive
attitude to grow through life. Life is hard,
especially in Nigeria, things are hard, [but
there's] no need carrying it on our faces as
though the world is on your shoulders. A lot is
happening and I ought to be grateful.
Now that you are over 40 and have spent
over 19 years in the industry, how many
more years do you plan to continue acting?
If I can reach 100, it won’t be bad. Besides, 40 is
a number and people say life begins at 40, which
means I am only a baby, and life has just begun
for me.
Still on your acting career, as someone who
has been in several movies and played
diverse roles, are there roles you still wish
to play? A mad woman. Someone who is
impaired physically or mentally. I want a case
where people will see the movie and ask
themselves if I really am the one in the movie.
What’s the most memorable movie you’ve
done?
My very first movie, When the Sunset. I also
loved the role I played in Stronger Than Pain,
with Nkem Owoh. That role was different for me.
In the beginning, I was really doubtful if I could
play it well, but I did it and it worked out.
As someone who had a medical
background, how easy was it for you to
blend into the movie industry at first? It was
hard. I was scared. The script was as thick as a
bible. I was with Franca Brown, Bob Manuel, the
late Funmi Martins, and Sandra Achums. I didn’t
think I could do it, but they were all so nice. That
was when we really treasured doing movies
properly, we paid attention to detail, countless
rehearsals. I remember spending a lot of time
with Bob Manuel, people thought we were going
out.
Having spent considerable time as an
actor, what’s next? Are you considering
going into music?
You people should leave me. I don’t want to
disgrace myself. Acting is my stronghold, I will
stay there. I don’t want to veer into something
and get stuck in it. I might do a collaboration
soon, you never can tell.
A lot of your colleagues are beginning to go
into roles behind the scenes. Will you be
doing the same anytime soon?
Everyone doesn’t have to produce or direct
movies, some people just want to remain in front
of the camera. I have tried my hands in
production. I produced a documentary for the
Lagos State tax advert, I shot that one as my
own contribution for them to help conscientious
Lagosians on the need to pay their taxes. I also
did one for the Akwa Ibom State government. I
am more of someone who can plan and all that,
but movie is plenty money.
Was acting something you always wanted
to do?
Funny enough, I have always wanted to be a
musician. I wanted to sing but my father
objected strongly.
So when did acting set in?
It just happened. It’s just few years ago that I
started doing it professionally; when I started it
was just a case of trying to see what it will bring
out for me. The late JT Tom West, I will always be
grateful to him for taking me to my first audition.
After my first movie, different people started
coming with different jobs and I was like ‘Yeah,
money is coming.’
Nollywood producers have a knack for
stereotyping actors. How did you manage
to avoid this?
You have to be picky. If the script comes and it’s
the same thing, you ask if they can change it,
because nobody will do it for you. However, if it is
a case where the director has foresight and
wants to see how the actor can manage the role,
only then will they call you back, otherwise, the
typical Nollywood producer will give you what
they think people like you for.
What challenges did you face as a young
actor in a budding industry?
For me, my first audition got me so many roles,
so I won’t say I had lots of challenges. Once I
surmounted working with the various stars on
set, I started learning and heeded to advice I got
from some people. I also made a promise to
myself to be professional about everything and
always be on time. I don’t do lateness at all. This
is because Uche Obi Osotule and I were up for
the same role from Opa Williams in the movie
Onome. He said he was going to give it to the
first person that arrived. I got there ten minutes
past eight and lost the role because Uche got
there before me.
Having spent almost two decades in the
industry, what would you say are the
challenges faced by players in the
industry? Money. Lack of cohesion between
guilds and associations. Inability to use certain
structures to be able to shoot our films; for
instance, getting the airport is not easy, and
other places, they charge. We pay taxes as
citizens of this country, and as film makers, we
should have a deduction or access to places.
While Dora was the Information minister, she
complained we were portraying the police in the
bad light, wearing slippers and all, but when
they did not give us the needed thing, what
were we to do? They need to give us the right
support to achieve this.
The trend in the industry is cinematic
movies and home videos. This has
negatively affected soap operas, for which
you are popular. What is your take on this?
There will always be a place for the different
aspects of the entertainment industry. Whether
you go to the cinemas or you buy a DVD. I have
not done soaps in a while, it remains something I
love doing, but because of the frequency, you
have to be available to do a lot of recording.
There is always room for soaps, but it has to be
something that will attract people like Check
Mate, or Candle Light. I can’t pick just one. I
have done TV, soap, and stage, and I love all of
it. I wanna do everything.
You strike people as a happy-go-lucky
individual. Share with us some low
moments in your life.
Generally, when life gets you down. The issue of
the break-up of my marriage will get any one
down, having being through 12 years and you
had plans for the marriage and all of a sudden,
everything stops, but then, that’s life. It hits you
with a lot of things but you shouldn’t let it get
you down.
Tell us more about your former marriage.
How were you able to deal with it?
It’s God. He makes things beautiful in His own
time. The slightest bit of strength is all is needed
to rise up. People have died in marriages, some
have lost body parts while in it, and others have
spent years in it. It all depends on individual, it’s
just to make the most of every situation and
move on. I have so much that I want to do. I
have no time to be wallowing in self pity.
Marriage does not define who I am, neither does
it define anybody. I came into this world as an
individual, two people meet and decide to make
it work but if it doesn’t, let it go. I wish you well,
you do same, especially when there are children
involved, because they are the worst hit. My plan
now is to ensure that my daughter has the best
in life, no matter what.
Why did you break up?
It wasn’t working anymore. It’s good to leave,
rather than continue to manage it and live in
strife and rancour.
A lot of Nigerian women have recently
shared their stories of physical violence in
the hands of their husbands. Did you
experience this? No, not at all.
What then was the cause of the break up?
Personal.
Any regrets?
No regrets at all. My daughter came out of it and
she is the most beautiful thing ever.
Any possibility of reconciliation?
No. My daughter is the most important person
and she has to be taken care of. As far as she is
concerned, we are for better, for worse.
Are you making plans to give love a chance
again?
I don’t have anything against love. I want to love
again, after all, God gave us his son to love us.
Away from your marriage, let’s talk about
the new leadership of the Actors Guild of
Nigeria. What is your take on this? Hopefully,
Ibinabo Fiberisima will turn things around for
AGN. Basically, without the actors, there will be
no films. We are like the biggest body ever, so I
am praying she can turn things around and
make us more unified, because the division is
what has caused us to not to be where we ought
to be. We have a lot more to do to better
ourselves as a body. We need to get our acts
together and pull this through together.
What’s your opinion on Emeka Ike, who
seems displeased about the election?
Emeka should join forces with I.B and stop all this
rancour because it doesn’t make us serious at all,
which is unnecessary. He should drop whatever
suit or case he has, marry his plans and support
IB. Enough is enough!
What is your beauty regimen?
I work out regularly, everyday. I have my facials,
massages. I love to rest, travel and I eat right. I
do exercises too. I do aerobics, weight lifting,
dancing; everything that will make me look good,
I do it, and am very diligent with my exercises.
How do you unwind?
I relax, I go out with friends, I travel on holidays
and take a rest.
Where was your last vacation spot?
Miami, and it was great, because the weather
was just like what it is in Nigeria..
Let’s end this conversation with this. Tell
us what you think of Aluu 4 murder…
It should be condemned. It’s like every day, we
sink lower into the ground as human beings as
Nigerians. Our humanity is totally lost. There are
no longer the days when we see someone in
trouble and we play the good Samaritan and try
to help. These days, everybody will just stand
and look, nobody wants to help. The security
level is so low and a lot of similar killings have
happened in Mubi, Boko Haram attacks and all. It
is terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment